Monday, June 1, 2009

It's Just Three Weeks

It was 9:00 PM on a starless night
I waited for you by the patio again
Knowing that you won't come until three weeks
I sat and took in the cold air with the wind softly whistling to me
The car drove up in front of the house
There were two dark figures coming out
Holding a letter and a hat
With an American flag folded up
I stared and fell on my knees
Tears welled up in my eyes as they handed me your cap
It was all I had left of you
Three weeks...he would've been home I thought to myself
A year from now we would've been married
I had nothing left of him
One shot to his heart
One shot to mine
Baby why'd you leave me?
Why'd you go away
If only you didn't go
If only I made you stay
Maybe we could've been together
And you could've still held my hand
I can't even breathe
I'm looking at the wedding plans
You would've stood there looking tall and handsome
While I walked down the aisle in a flowing white gown
But that dream was gone in a heartbeat
Everybody's saying what a shame
He left her alone in the dark
This can't be happening to me
Maybe I'll wake up and this nightmare will disappear
Maybe I'll wake up and you will still be here
But as they pay their respects and I sit staring
They come to me to say they're sorry for my loss
Tears flowed down my eyes and I walked up to the casket
I placed my hand on your face
You were cold as my heart when I found out
I cried and cried and died again
I ran off into the distance and sat on the patio
Waiting for you again
Just wait three weeks I told myself
Three weeks...

LISTEN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luJcsPRngNE


1 comment:

αlєх said...

that song and poem made me cry! so beautiful and touching. It's hard to lose people in war, I wish the world could just solve problems through words, not gun shots. Sadly it may never become that way.