Monday, June 1, 2009

A loss

"A fire!! A fire!!!"
Screams filled the air,
people tripped, dropping to the ground,
turning into dust.
My family's hands
my friends' hands,
they slip away from mine,
and they die in front of me.

The only one with me now is my mother,
black ash on her face,
as tears stream down both of our cheeks.
Why'd they leave?
Why'd the fire have to kill them?
WHY did this happen?

Everything burned to the ground,
we were the only ones that survived.
and all we did was cry for days.
Loneliness grew between us,
and we just prayed.

Laying down on the grass in the cemetery,
where my grandfathers, aunt, cousin, and
uncle were buried.
We laid there, holding hands, closing our eyes.

Laying there until we faded away like dust.
We slowly died, crying tears of joy as our wings grew,
and led us to where everyone else was.
We flew to the other souls,
and stayed together forever,
watching the earth slowly reborn...

and we waited, for our next life to slowly come to us,

making a promise to change.

a promise to always, always...

love each other.

1 comment:

Ms. Walsh said...

Wow. I like your use of imagery. It feels like a nightmare... Your tone is almost frantic.