Saturday, March 7, 2009

"My Autumn" Chapter One, Part One

Chapter One, Part One:

"God doesn't exist in this house," my mom had once told me after Dad had passed away. I just stared at her blankly, and was just shocked by what she said. Her own father was a pastor of a thriving church in Michigan, and she had just renounced her faith that she had followed for all of her life. She walked outside for a little smoke. I looked out the window and watched her as she silently cried in between puffs. My heart broke for her. I sighed and went back in my father's spot by the porch and painted her leaning against the fence on a grey cold day. As I was painting this the telephone rang, and it was Karla. Karla, was my best friend ever since kindergarten. She had this bubbly personality that always made me laugh. Without her, I wouldn't be painting.

"Hey Adri!" Karla happily said.
"Hey, what's up? " I replied, still staring out the window.
"Nothing much, I was wondering if you had gone shopping yet for back to school fashion."
I smiled. Karla always had to be the one who looked good when she first goes back to school.
"No I haven't, I haven't had anytime. My mom is still... hm ya know," I had said.
Karla always understood what I meant without me having to say it. That was the best thing about her. She always understood me.
"Ohh okay. Do you want to come with me tomorrow and we'll meet up with Blaine?" She asked.
I stopped painting. "BLAINE IS BACK?"
"Yeah, he flew in last night. He's going to be visiting for a couple of weeks and then going to visit his dad uptown. But he'll be back in time for school."
I thought about Blaine. I haven't seen him in years because his mom had divorced his dad and moved to Georgia. Now he came back to live here and was going to the same high school. He is another of my best friends who never let me down. WIthout him, I wouldn't be smiling.
"That punk didn't call me," I laughed. "But I'll meet you at the mall at 1:00. Call me when you get there with him, okay?"
Karla laughed, "Okay. I'll see you tomorrow"

I hung up the phone and stared once again outside. My mom was still in the same position as I had left her... She was in the same condition when my father had left her.



No comments: