Saturday, March 7, 2009

"My Autumn" Chapter One, part three

Chapter One, Part three:

I entered the ktichen and saw empty liquor bottles on the floor. My mom was just sitting there at the table. I looked at her questionly but just began to pick up the bottles to throw in the garbage bin. I noticed tears sliding down my mom's face though her eyes were covered by the shadow of her dirty brown hair.

"Mom, are you okay?" I came up and knelt beside her.
"Where have you been?" She said angrily. She looked up with fire in her eyes. I stepped back.
"I fell on the pavement and was knocked unconscious. I bled alot and was found by my friend Ian."
She glared at me. She was obviously not in her right state of mind.
"Don't lie to me," she snapped. She got up and got closer to me. I tried backing away but I was cornered into the counter.
"Mom, I'm not lying. I never lied to you." I said quietly.
I never forgave her for what she did next. As she came closer to me, I smelled the hard alcohol as she exhaled. She striked me across my face and I fell to the floor. I felt my cut bleeding again. But she didn't stop there. She started to kick me and attack me.

"Mom! Get off me!" I cried out. But she wouldn't stop. I could've sworn I heard her say "Why'd you leave me, Danny?!"
Darkness crept once again over me.

I woke up on the floor. There was a puddle of blood where I was. I didn't know if it was from my head or from another wound that I had received from my mom's beating. It was 9:40 AM and I couldn't find my mom anywhere. She didn't have work today...maybe she was upstairs in bed suffering from a hangover. I got to the staircase but I noticed bloody footsteps going up but never coming back down. I got worried. I ran up the stairs and followed the footprints. It led to my dad's old art room. It was where he kept his paintings, his paints, his brushes. The door was left open. I walked in and saw my mom sitting on the patched up old stool my father used to sit on when he painted. I noticed that she was hugging an art piece that he had created. It was called, "Emma's Heaven" and it was a scene where you saw nothing but a beautiful night sky. It had stars in just the right places and made you feel calm and at peace. I tried to wake up my mom, but I had felt something weird. She was cold...ice cold.
I turned her over only to find a stab wound on her chest where her heart was. I just stared at her. She looked peaceful with her eyes closed. She looked the happiest she had been in a long time. I took the painting from her hands and read the back: "To Emma, I'll love you until all the stars fade from the sky. Forever yours, Daniel." I put my finger over the words that my father had wrote for my mother. I noticed a new writing at the bottom. It was from my mom to my father. It read: "Daniel, I want to be where you are. I can't breathe without you breathing with me..." The rest was unreadable because it was covered in blood.

I walked to my room and sat on the floor and looked at the mirror. Cuts and bruises all over my arms and body. I noticed my mom hadn't beat my face. Maybe it was because I reminded her of my father. I remember her saying it when I was younger, I heard her say it in home videos when I was brought back from the hospital after I was born.

She looks just like you, Danny. Mom would look up at Dad who was taping all of this and smile.

I sighed and called Karla only to receive her voicemail.

"I can't make it..not today." I whispered softly.


END OF CHAPTER ONE.

LISTEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juCbjFyOEAc




No comments: