Saturday, March 7, 2009

"My Autumn" Prologue

Prologue:

My name is Adrianne Emilton and all I do is paint. I paint landscapes, portraits, anime, cartoons...you name it I can paint it. I fell in love with this type of art when I was just 4 years old. My father, Daniel, had first introduced it to me when I was sitting on a chair looking out the window. He stared at me while he painted and said, "Do you see all of the colors there, Adri? Do you see how real it all is? Imagine all of that on paper." I looked back at him and pondered on his words. Imagine it on paper? Hmm... My father smiled at me and just went back on painting. He always spoke with a light air that felt nice and soft. The last time I heard his voice was when he told me to call 911, when his own brother had stabbed him in the chest. I was just 6 years old. I cried dark tears, while he bled red sticky blood all over the floor. It was the same color that he used in a painting of his. It was a landscape piece of an autumn scene titled, "Adrianne's Autumn". As you look at it, you can almost feel the cool air go down your back. You can almost hear the leaves crunch under the soles of your feet. My mother, Emma, was never the same again after dad had died. She was once a young, vibrant, and beautiful woman that had a silvery laugh that made everyone smile. Now she hardly says a word, and there are dark circles around her eyes. She goes to work, comes home, cooks dinner and sleeps. Now I just watch her on the sidelines and painted in my father's spot by the porch.

I never knew why my uncle Timothy killed my father. My mother never told me, but when he was put behind bars she said that he deserved it. I never visited him, I never got to know him, and I never forgot the way my father's eyes looked like the night he was dying. They still haunt me everytime I go to sleep. If only I had dialed the numbers on the telephone faster...maybe he would've still been here. Maybe my mom would've smiled again and laughed like she did before. But life doesn't always go the way you want it too.


No comments: